OTA Program Underway at Oklahoma’s Indian Capital Technology Center
Muskogee, Okla-based Indian Capital Technology Center (ICTC) reports plans to establish an occupational therapy assistant (OTA) program beginning August 2015 at the ICTC-Muskogee campus. The 1-year program includes 1,360 clock hours of instruction and on-campus classes will be conducted 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Through an agreement between ICTC and Connors State College (CSC), OTA students who have completed a specified degree plan from or approved by CSC and successfully completed the OTA technical courses at ICTC, may be granted an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree by CSC as well as a certificate from ICTC.
According to a report on the Wagoner, Okla-based wagonertribute.com, entrance requirements for the ICTC Occupational Therapy program are as follows:
• This program is limited to adult students only,
• Applicants must complete an application,
• Provide proof of high school graduation or GED,
• Minimum college grade point average (GPA) 2.5 cumulative,
• Completion of college credit hours in BIOL 1114, BIOL 2104, BIOL 2114, ENG 1113, ENG 1213, PSYC 1113, PSYC 2313, NURS 1003, MATH 1513, POLS 1113, HIST 1483 or HIST 1494,
• Documentation of a minimum of 8 hours observation experience with an OT or OTA,
• Must be accepted for admission by Connors State College,
• Background/sex offender check and drug screen (as required) will be conducted on admitted students, and
• Demonstrate physical and mental sustainability as evident by a health history/physical.
This program has been granted candidacy to apply for accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) of the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA). Program graduates may not sit for certification until accreditation is granted. The application deadline for the 2015-2016 OTA program is May 28. Applications are available at all ICTC campuses and online at www.ictctech.com.